Saturday, February 24, 2007

Audience participation time!

The name of the game is Creepy, Creepier, Creepiest. Take the three scans below and put them in increasing creep-out order. Justify your answers in the comments section. There are no winners or losers in this game, just fellow victims all wallowing in joint misery.

Scan number 1 comes from issue 10 of The Occult Files of Doktor Spektor, published in 1974 by Whitman. Here we have Lakota, Dr. Spektor's Native American secretary/love interest/damsel-in-distress, dressing up for a costume ball. Note her choice of costume: sexy injun squaw.

The extra creepy part: ol' Doc is totally turned on by Princess Poke-a-hot-ass.

Contestant number 2 hails from the ninth issue of Teen Titans Spotlight (copywright 1986, DC Comics). In this issue for no apparent reason Beast Boy goes to the zoo and starts flirting with a lioness.

I almost fell out of my chair when I reached the point where he changed into a male lion.

Finally, we have Ms. Marvel #7 (1977), wherein we find a picture of Carol Danvers making out with MODOK!

To be honest, I haven't even read this issue yet.  I flipped it open to a random page and got this image.  Speculation on what other horrors may lurk within has unnerved me.

So now that I've scarred you all for life, tell me which scan is merely Creepy, which is a bit Creepier, and which one is Creepiest.

P.S. #1: Don't try to tell me the green dude's name is Changeling. He's Beast Boy on the cartoon and that's all that matters to me.

P.S. #2: This issue of
Teen Titans Spotlight is the first time I've read a story with Robotman in it. And let me tell you, he is rad to the max. Cliff Steele spends the whole issue acting like Ben Grimm, only he's a robot instead of a rock monster. Is he that awesome all the time?

8 comments:

  1. 1.The "Do You Like My Outfit?" action isn't really creepy in any way, as far asI can tell -- I just see a good-looking comic book lady in a fringed jacket and a short skirt, along with a headband. I'm frankly more squicked by the background, because I think it smells like mothballs. CREEPY

    2. That's Mental Organism Designed Only For Killing, not Kissing. Get your flappy damn lips offa Carol, you giant, stunty nog!

    3. Bestiality's bestiality whether or not you can turn into a lion, and no, don't tell me it's Rishathra, 'cause she ain't no hominid. And who the hell is green these days? She-Hulk, but she can swing it. CREEPIEST

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:25 PM

    #1. No creepiness that I can see. Without additional context, I'm just assuming she had a sense of humor and a cute outfit that matched it.

    #2. Creepy. But Gar's sense of humor was always odd so I'm assuming it's creepy humor rather than creepy serious intent. If nothing else, Gar knows that real lions don't speak English.

    #3: If we take you at your word that they are making out, then that's a little creepy. If she's just kissing him to thank him or something, it's 100% non-creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:26 PM

    Just read your notes: No, his name isn't changeling _or_ beast boy; his name is Gar Logan :)

    Which is how you can tell that, Teen Titans fan or no, I'm a merry Marvelite at heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danvers + ModoK FTW. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to request the full-body shot
    of Man-M.O.D.O.K. from that sequence.
    The combination of Steve Reeves outfit +
    totally ripped MODOK...
    I don't want anybody left out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. intruder_w: It will be done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you don't mind, but I used your image on this post as a comic for a remixed Garfield strip.
    http://www.mezzacotta.net/garfield/?comic=429

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a SQRT -Garfield reader, that amused me to no end.

    ReplyDelete